March is a time for many of us when those New Year’s resolutions have become frustrations. Fortunately, the weather is beginning to warm, and spring fever can do wonders for physical activity efforts. It’s also National Nutrition Month, and the theme this year is: “Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day.” I love this theme, because I truly believe wellness comes when we tailor food and nutrition to our personal and family needs, and keep food in perspective with with the rest of our lives.
So in the spirit of the season and finding YOUR way to eat right for YOU, here are my tips to help you Spring into Nutrition Action:
- Plan your meals, then your grocery list, and stick to it. Even with the best-laid plans, there will be diversions, many for good reasons. So you will need to shift your mindset, make the plan a priority, and allow only the most important diversions. You know what they are.
- Eat with your family or friends as often as possible. Eating together helps everyone to eat more slowly and connect more fully with each other.
- Engage family and friends in your health goals and take an interest in theirs. A support system increases your likelihood of success.
- Focus on the good stuff. Join community supported agriculture (CSA) or visit a farmers market to get out of your food rut and celebrate the tastes of the season. Aim for 5 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Choose healthy fats from vegetables oils, nuts, seeds, and avocado. Choose whole grains.
- Respond to your hunger cues– both when they come and when they go! This means, eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full.
Happy National Nutrition Month and Happy Spring Fever!